For centuries this almost square marketplace has been the main tourist attraction of Toruń.
Its construction started in 1309, on the Teutonic Order’s initiative. The church is presumed to be the most beautiful of all Toruń’s churches.
Monastery Gate (known also as the Holy Spirit Gate) was constructed in the 14th c., as one of the four leading to the town from the port on the River Vistula.
Sailor’s Gate was erected in the mid-14th c., however its present form is the result of a thorough 19th c. reconstruction.
Bridge Gate was constructed in 1432 in the place of a former one.