The castle was erected in 1425 upon the order of king Władysław Jagiełło. It was situated on the left bank of Vistula River, opposite Teutonic Order-governed Toruń. The castle was a seat of royal starost (governor) and functioned as a customs chamber. Nieszawa – a commercial settlement, competitive for Toruń, was established around the castle. The castle was destroyed during Swedish and Napoleonic wars; nowadays only ruins are left.