Saint Johns’ Cathedral
The construction of the cathedral started in mid–13th century and was continued in stages for over 200 years. It is the biggest of all town’s churches. Among its rich interior decorations, of particular importance are the main altar created by Saint Wolfgang in years 1502-1506, valuable wall paintings and baroque and rococo altars. There is also a medieval font in which Nicholas Copernicus was baptized. On the tower opened for sightseeing there is a gothic bell Tuba Dei and a clock called “rafters’ clock”, which shows time with only one hand.
Tuba Dei Bell (God’s Trumpet) was cast in 1500 in bronze with an addition of silver and gold. It is the biggest medieval bell in Poland and it weights about 7,5 tones. According to the legend, in order to place the bell on the tower, a 800 meter ramp was built over the roofs of houses and seven fine oxen pulled it up. In the old times, the sound of the bell welcomed monarchs visiting Toruń. Nowadays, it honours all the most important church ceremonies.