Artus (Arthur’s) Court in its present form dates back only to the end of the 19th c., being built in the place where, until 1802, a Gothic building with the same name had stood. This former building, constructed at the end of 14th c., though modernized several times, was the seat of merchant guilds and brought together the wealthiest of Toruń’s burghers. The spacious and richly ornamented interiors of the former Court witnessed in 1466 the signing of the Second Peace of Toruń between Poland and the Teutonic Order, which brought about the incorporation of Toruń into Poland. National and provincial Sejms (assemblies) debated in the Artus Court while it also housed an inn popular among rich merchants and even monarchs visiting the city. In the 18th c. the beautifully ornamented but deteriorating building served as both a Protestant and Orthodox Church.
Finally due to the Court's poor condition, it was demolished and replaced by smaller premises housing the town’s theatre. Only after their demolition at the end of the 19th c., was the present building erected. For many years its richly-decorated interiors have been the place where the most important municipal and cultural events, exhibitions, concerts and festivals have been held. Artus Court is also the home of the Toruń Symphony Orchestra.